No Means NO
- Boundaries; how to respect someone else’s and how to watch for people who ignore your own.
- To listen to your instincts when they tell you something is wrong, even if you can’t put your finger on it right away.
- That “No” is a complete sentence, and people who cannot accept a no at face value never deserved a yes.
- That consent can be revoked at any point, even after it was freely given.
Quality Over Quantity
- That when it comes to friends and family it is better to have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.
- That you shouldn’t let people who can’t get their own shit together tell you how to manage yours.
- That if you want something enough you will find a way, otherwise you will find an excuse.
- That there are more paths to success than our parents ever thought possible, that you get to define what success means to you, and not every journey looks the same.
- Love yourself enough to know when to let go of people in your orbit who don’t deserve to be there. You can’t set yourself on fire just to keep someone else warm.
Do What Is Right
- Stand up for what’s right, even when it’s hard.
- Don’t trust a drink in a bar (or party, or whatever) if you didn’t see the bartender pour it themselves.
- A drunk man’s (or woman’s) words are a sober man’s thoughts.
- When someone tries to show you who they really are, listen to them and don’t make excuses.
- Sometimes what hurts isn’t the loss of the person themselves, but the loss of the person you believed them to be.
- That the birth of new things is always painful and messy.
- Some people will be contrary just to get a rise out of you. Ignore them; let them get free entertainment elsewhere.
- One space after a period, not two. Two spaces is what you needed to do on typewriters in the 70s, not on modern computers.